I make a lot of simple dishes with just a meat and side. These are usually very filling, low in fat, and high in protein.
The best way to mix up these dishes is to change up the spices that you use and the type of meat.
I recently made roasted salmon and sweet potatoes.
Below is the recipe:
First, I pre-heated my oven to 450 degrees. Since we live in a higher altitude, things take a little longer and a little higher heat to bake.
Then, I peeled, sliced, & diced 2 large sweet potatoes, coated them with olive oil, and seasoned with salt, pepper, & garlic powder.
Next, I placed a 1lb filet of Atlantic Salmon in a glass baking dish. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, dill, onion powder, cumin, and paprika (I really like to use as many spices as possible). I specifically made sure to use more dill, garlic, and cumin, as I wanted the salmon to have a more Mediterranean taste.
I then topped the salmon with two tablespoons of butter.
I then baked both the salmon and sweet potatoes together in the 450 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Looking back, I recommend putting the sweet potatoes in about 10 minutes before the salmon so that the total bake time for the sweet potatoes is 40 minutes.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 lb Salmon filet
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
- Peel, slice and dice sweet potatoes into large chunks.
- Toss in mixing bowl with olive oil, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp pepper.
- Put sweet potatoes into baking dish.
- Place 1lb Salmon filet into baking dish.
- Season with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1tsp pepper, dill, onion powder, cumin & paprika.
- Top with 1 T butter.
- Place sweet potatoes into oven.
- 10 minutes later, place salmon into oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature of salmon is 145 degrees F.